Activism: San Francisco Sexuality Resources
Serving the San Francisco Sex Community Since 1993
Body Electric School
- Body Electric is committed to exploring the healing potential of
erotic energy and recognizes the body's wisdom as ancient, sacred,
playful and profound. (I haven't yet attended Body Electric, but
I have heard very positive things from many who have,
and I look forward to taking one or more of their classes.)
Celebrations of Love
(Corte Madera) / Lori Star -- 415 / 924-5483
- I practice Tantra (whenever I can!), a yogic form of breathing that
promotes the easy movement, or "running" of energy within
one's body. There are many wonderful teachers of Tantra in the Bay
Area, each with their own specialties.
Lori provides a solid grounding in the mechanics of a rather
"red", or sexual, form of Tantra.
I have had some of the highest experiences of my life in the Room of
Love that she creates at her workshops.
The Human Awareness Institute (HAI) -- 415 / 571-5524
- I have attended HAI's full series of workshops on
Love, Intimacy and Sexuality
and an enjoying being at service to the organization as an Intern.
A current spiritual goal of mine is
to open more to being a yes, and in doing so open to intimacy
("in to me you see") through receiving others' love.
My experiences with HAI have helped me along both my internal and
external journies, and have aided in my basic ability to be clear and
present with myself and others. HAI conducts
at Harbin Hotsprings
and several other locations across the globe, and hosts lots of
QSM (Quality SM)
-- 415 / 550-7776
- Classes (often with hot demonstrations!) given on various topics in SM
Sacred Space Institute workshops
- Polyamory, Tantra, Sexual Shamanism, & more!
The San Francisco Sex Information (SFSI)
hotline -- 415 / 989-7374
- A free, anonymous, non-judgemental information and referral service.
Call them for any question related to sex, including referrals to
sex-positive doctors and therapists. SFSI is a proponent of
all sexual practices, as long as they are concensual.
Check out the the SFSI (pronounced "sfissy") trainings, which are
held twice a year. The 50 training is based, in part, on the
highly successful Sexual Attitudes Restructuring process developed
by the National Sex Forum. The class is great, and available for
half price if you elect to work on the switchboard, 3 hours a week
for 6 months. (Highly recommended!) I spent more than the required
time on the hotline - it was at once challenging, rewarding and best
of all, fun! (They throw great parties, too!)
The San Francisco Society of Janus
-- 415 / 292-3222
- "an educational and support organization for adults who support and
are both seriously and personally interested in sexuality based on a
safe, consensual, non-exploitive transfer of power between partners."
- The Temple of Sacred Sensual Arts
(San Rafael) -- 415 / 492-9377
- Stephen Clark and Marilyn King put a lot of heart in their expression
and teaching of Tantra (and they have a wonderful staff)
The Welcomed Consensus
- The Welcomed Consensus offers videos and courses in sensuality,
relationships, communication, and lifestyles, with a focus on better
orgasm. (I have not yet attended one of their classes nor do I know
of anyone who has, but they appear to have a pretty good reputation.)
(1210 Valencia St., SF) -- 415/550-7399
- Woman owned & operated toy store. A great place to go to on a date!
They have a wonderful library and a museum of antique dildos.
Ask for their mail order catalog, and check out their
Sex-Positive Resources and Links
(2191 Market St. (at Sanchez), SF) -- 415/487-9909 ext.03
- This hot little shop recently arrived in cyberspace with
Ann Grogan, proprietess. Visit their
& check out their
(1158 Howard Street, SF) -- 415/626-1672 (626-6783 factory)
- Woman owned and operated leather, latex and toy shop.
Slightly "heavier" than Good Vibes,
but a real nice place to shop at.
There's a local factory run by the shop for
custom work at reasonable prices.
Mr. S Leather / Fetters
(310 7th St.) -- 415/863-7764; fax: 863-7798
- Heavier, largely (but definately not exclusively!)
gay-male leather store.
Bay Area Naturists
- A loosely-knit collection of people in the San Francisco and Monterey
Bay areas who believe that less is more
- A beautiful retreat/spa/workshop center in
- A clothing-optional retreat and workshop center. The
Human Awareness Institute
holds many of their workshops at Harbin.
Lupin Naturist Club
- A well-maintained naturist resort with many excellent facilities,
Lupin provides a great place to unwind.
SF Bay Guardian Nude Beach Guide
Redrock Beach is one of my faves.
Come, enjoy, be at peace,
and bring something to share with the local community
(e.g., Flying disks, Water Melons, Songs...)
The City Clinic
(356 7th St., btw. Folsom & Harrison) -- 415/487-5500
- Complete, professional, cheap STD testing. Drop in hours (no
appointment necessary) Mon/Wed/Fri 8 AM - 4 PM, Tue/Thu 1 PM - 4 PM.
They ask $15 for a complete test (you can ask that the HIV test be
done anonymously) but no one will be refused for lack of funds.
Free anonymous HIV testing
- List provided by the
San Francisco AIDS Foundation
The San Francisco Sex Information (SFSI)
hotline -- 415/989-7374
- (For more info, see above.)
The Society for Human Sexuality
- San Francisco chapter
Advanced Birds & Bees ("Ask Isadora")
Eros Guide to San Francisco
- guide to erotic entertainment, contacts and shopping
The Pleasure-Seeker's Guide
The Red Light District
- Sexual and Erotic Resources for the San Francisco Bay Area
Where to buy sex toys in the Bay Area
(Bay Guardian Superlist #593, March 1996)
Yahoo's San Francisco Sex (shopping & services) links
Back to Sex - It's NOT a dirty word