Activism: Sex and Sexuality
Sex: It's Not a Dirty Word
(now in our eleventh year on the web!)
"To hear many religious people talk, one would think God created the
torso, head, legs and arms, but the devil slapped on the genitals."
-- Don Schrader
This page has been moved from
This more clearly reflects the unfortunate truth that, in our society,
the simple offering of good information about sex is a form of activism.
For more good information, call the
San Francisco Sex Information hotline
or sign up for level one of the
Human Awareness Institute workshops.
I love to have fun
but I also believe in playing safe! Know your partners and have a
conversation! Also, it is a good idea to get tested every 6 months to
a year, and/or when changing partners. Some basic things to remember:
- The HIV virus can be transmitted by means of
semen to blood or blood to blood contact,
most directly through unprotected anal sexual intercourse or
via the sharing of needles without sterilization.
- Latex condoms can help prevent the spread of HIV. Be sure to use
only water based (NOT oil-based) lubricants to avoid breaking down
Note that new polypropalene condoms have recently arrived on the
market (such as the Avanti condoms by Ramses) and that oil-based
lubricants do not harm these. They are, unfortunately, quite
- Unprotected oral sex can transmit the HIV virus through small cuts,
abrasions, or sores in or around the mouth. Note that brushing your
teeth and even eating corn chips can cause such minor cuts.
Nevertheless, I consider oral sex to be pretty safe as the environment
in the mouth is rather deadly to the HIV virus.
(Note: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.)
- Unprotected fingering and/or fisting can likewise transmit the HIV
virus through something as simple and usually unnoticed as a hangnail.
- There are many
Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) other than HIV
and AIDS. Besides syphilis, gonorrhea and herpes,
you should also be aware of (and you might want to ask your
partner(s) about) trichomonas, chlamydia,
chancroid, genital warts, NGU, and fungal infections.
- Some guidelines are listed in a
chart depicting a spectrum of safer sex practices
- And don't forget that the common cold, the most
common STD, can lay you up for days (or even weeks) at a time!
- If you're in the
sexy San Francisco Bay Area,
check out the excellent free ($10 donation requested) resources at
the City Clinic
for more info.
The Art of Sexual Ecstasy by Margot Annand
- This is a great book, covering all sorts of issues including Tantra.
A worthwhile addition to any bookshelf!
Tantra by Charles and Caroline Muir
- Charles and Caroline Muir teach courses in Tantra both locally
and in Hawaii. Their number in Maui is (808) 572-8364 (I will get
their local number and post it here)
Loving More Magazine
- A magazine promoting polyamorous lifestyles
- The Erotic Frontier, with Pat Califia, Susie Bright,
David Kramer and ???, available through ???
- Four audio tapes of a conference held in Berkeley in April '94.
A paraphrased quote from Pat Califia,
Bay Area author / "sexual pioneer":
Sex should always, at every instant be consensual. This means
that, even during the act, if one person wants to stop, then it stops
(yes -- that means even before ejaculation!)
The Fine Art of Erotic Talk
by Bonnie Gabriel
- How to Entice, Excite and Enchant Your Lover with Words
For Play - 150 Sex Games for Couples by Walter Shelburn
Sacred Space Institute bookstore
AIDS Virtual Library
All You Need To Know About Aphrodisiacs
- An Introduction to "Love Chemicals"
AltSex.org -- Alternative Sexuality Resources
- Good informations on Polyamory and other topics
- Betty Dodson, Ph.D.
- This website is devoted to erotic sex education and promoting sexual
Coalition for Positive Sexuality
Just Say Yes
- CPS also publishes
an excellent listing of resources
The G Zone
- Erotic Tools + Sexual Education = A Better Sex Life
Gender and Sexuality
- Lots of informative links which address gender studies and
queer studies, with a particular focus upon discussions of
sex, gender, sexual identity and sexuality in cultural practices.
house 'o chicks
- A great site for chicks who like really fun sex
The Human Awareness Institute (HAI)
- HAI produces a series of workshops entitled
Love, Intimacy and Sexuality
that I, myself, have found to be one of the most powerful
influences on my life and relationships.
Human Sexuality Resources
- A great guide to informational links, with a focus on
- a newly expanded site with lots of good information on
women's health, birth control and STIs (among other topics)
Howard Landman's Polyamory Index
- These kinds of relationships are hard enough to pull off without
the added trouble of them being illegal, too! I was in a committed
threesome for nine months and it was wonderful though more than a
little difficult, too.
- See also:
Stef's Poly Post Page
Prostitutes' Education Network
- The Scarlet Harlot
herself asked me to add this link!
Sacred Space Institute
- "Imagine a Community where the body is sacred, love is abundant,
and the Feminine is honored!"
San Francisco Bay Area Sexuality Resources
- This has got to be one of the sexiest cities in the world!
San Francisco Sex Information (SFSI) hotline
- I say a bit more about SFSI on my
SF Bay Area Sex Resource Page.
The SexQuest/Sex Institute &
Web Index for Sexual Health (WISH)
- Reaffirming a positive and hopeful view of the human future
Sexology Net Line
- Dedicated to the advancement of knowledge of human sexuality
The Society for Human Sexuality (sexuality.org)
- an all-volunteer social and educational organization devoted to the
understanding and enjoyment of all safe and consensual forms of
sexual and sensual expression
- See also their new
San Francisco chapter of the Society for Human Sexuality
A Spectrum of the Risks of HIV Transmission
- A handy chart for referencing currently accepted safer sex practices
- A site of sacred sexuality
- See their links to
teachers of the sensual arts
USENET alt.sex FAQs
- A great, broad source of collective information.
Yahoo's "Health: Sexually Transmitted Diseases &
Yahoo's "Society and Culture: Sexuality" page
- This page contains well over 100 links to sex-related subjects
Always be safe, sane and consensual.
- a bi-monthly newspaper for the San Francisco Bay Area pansexual
kink communities, brought to you by the
The Society of Janus
- "An educational and support organization for adults who support
and are both seriously and personally interested in sexuality based
on a safe, consensual, non-exploitive transfer of power between
- They call this place "a rest stop for weary travelers
(especially if you have to pee!)". It's got a lot of
wet offerings, has a good sense of net rights
and links to useful sources of information.
Quality SM (QSM) Home Page
- Dedicated to bringing quality written material and education to the
SM community throughout the world
Lashes by Sarah
- San Francisco's Premier Whipmaker
White Light / Black Leather - an S/M Spirituality Primer
- Very good site. See in particular
Leather Ethics: Civility and Incivility in the Scene
- An mail-order company specializing in a full line of
sex-positive erotic merchandise.
- "Where the pleasure is..."
- Condoms & sex items catalog, information, statistics and more.
- The original condom store now online with tons of info (& latex!)
Erotic Power Exchange Vendor List
- Lots of mail-order houses with brief descriptions and contact info
- An on-line toy store physically located in Brookline, MA.
- Excellent on-line catalog
The Stockroom (was JT Toys)
- A provider of quality sexual toys and gizmos -- I'm a customer!
Yossie's Handcuff Collection
"On the Internet, no one knows you're masturbating"
AOL's censored words
more on AOL's smut guidelines
bianca's Smut Shack
- bianca's been heating up the net with her particular combination of
humor and sex for several years now. My how she's grown!
- Some real zingers...
- "This Web site almost has it all: Romance, Sex, Religion,
Politics, Evolution, Crime, Drugs, and my favorite -- Breasts.
All it needs now is some Rock 'n' Roll."
The Hanky codes
- A widely used, rather elegant way of advertising sexual preferences.
Please email me at <freedom at activism dot net>
if you know of other useful on-line pointers to information relating to
And while you're in the neighborhood, check out my page of
San Francisco Bay Area Sexuality